The Ontario Paper Thorold Foundation was incorporated in 1958 by
Ontario Paper Company under the name "Ontario Paper Company Foundation."
It was originally targeted at providing contributions to registered
charitable organizations in both the Niagara, Ontario, and
Baie Comeau, Quebec regions.
Due to changes in the company ownership and name, the Foundation has changed its name
on more than one occasion:
- Quebec and Ontario Company Foundation
- QUNO Foundation
- After the company was bought by Donohue in 1996, company contributions ended,
and the name was changed to Niagara/Baie Comeau Community Foundation. All existing
donation commitments were honoured.
- In 2004, the Foundation was formally and legally split into 2 separate entities,
one of which continues to serve the Baie Comeau region, and this one, serving the Niagara
region. It was renamed: "Abitibi Consolidated Thorold Foundation."
- In 2008 the name was changed to "The Ontario Paper Thorold Foundation" which more appropriately reflects the history of the original endowment.
The Foundationís goal is to be self-sufficient, and to be able to donate during years
in which it incurs investment losses.